Sunday, March 20, 2016

Portrait Redux

I went with a casual setting for my Rembrandt shots but definitely ended up with some dramatic results.  My fiance was patient enough with me to let me take pictures of him at the dining room table during a routine homework session.  The light is coming from a north facing window giving me some great shadows to work with; in editing some of these shots I darkened the exposure to increase the contrast since I was going for more dramatic shadowing and to take the focus away from some of the background and keep the main focal point on his face. I wanted darker exposure because it also accentuates Derek's features and in a way compliments his character of being quieter and more mysterious in his mannerisms, as well as physically striking to look at with his slightly darker skin and jet black hair.  There's a balance between depth and simplicity in the lighting which also compliments Derek; the simple things in life make him happy while he is in no way a simple person but rather a wealth of information and a deep thinker.  I like the way these turned out with minor fine tuning, I think the last one is one of my favorites.

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

f/5.6  1/10  ISO320

With the glamor shots I had my future sister-in-law stand at the other end of the dining room but with the same light source; with the lighter backdrop and the different angle it gave the pictures a softer, lighter look which is also what I was going for with Taylor.  I also love black and white and it gives the picture quality an entirely different softness as well as clarity, it's very flattering with Taylor's features and is a good representation of her personality.  The understated overalls with the flower print shirts reflects her casual and comfortable vibe while still remaining classy and simple with the black and white exposure.  Without having the luxury of a studio and professional lighting I was really happy with the outcomes from these pictures.

f/5.6  1/13  ISO320

f/5.6  1/13  ISO320

f/5.6  1/13  ISO320

f/5.6  1/13  ISO320

f/5.6  1/13  ISO320

No comments:

Post a Comment